67 sportsman floor

Sportsman, SeaSport, Revelers , FrontRunners and Explorers - Sweet and Sport 16's - dock here

67 sportsman floor

Postby JimAndros » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:25 am

As pointed out on another thread, the forums are dead. Dead on Fiberglassics as well.

If you read thru my 2017 thread, I ended it with wanting to sell the boat. I was moving & figured less things to move. Well, no bites so I still have it, settled in a house with a 36x60 building, so I guess it stays for now. I used my 69 Shell Lake last year and began this year with my 70 SeaRay. As I kept looking at the Sportsman I decided it was time to uncover it & fire it up......

Needed new tires. I was on borrowed time in 2017, lucky I guess. So I bought 3 news tires & 3 new tubes. Best I could find were 6 ply 1298 LB load rating. That is 2598 LBS total on the axle plus what ever the tongue weight is. So I'm good for maybe 2750 LBS? Boat is advertised at 1750 or so complete with a battery & prop. Trailer weight I don't know, estimating 600. Fuel is a variable but basically 7 LBS/gallon. Quick addition puts me at 2350 plus fuel & any extras. But my boat has water weight gain so I figure I'm way over weight.

I've decided to perform bariatric surgery to get the weight down. First I went to the local lake & ran a few speed/RPM calculations & marked the waterline at the stern, windshield & forward keel. All I know at this point is I heavy and it appears to be nose heavy. that makes sense considering the forward keel was where the crack was. The volume below the floor is deepest about at the front of the seats. So if the foam is equally saturated then the boat has gained bow weight. We will see......

The engine cover & front bulkhead came off 1st, then the outdrive & transom seal. Next unhook all the wires, hoses & steering cables. It's a tight fit thru that round hole but with help of a a neighbor it's out.

I plan on getting the floor removed for 11' leaving me just short of the inner liner at the bow. I guess I'll have to dig the foam out up front. All this before winter so I can begin the reassembly in the spring.
JimAndros

Re: 67 sportsman floor

Postby JimAndros » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:13 am

I'm having picture posting issues..... Will research more later.
JimAndros

Postby JimAndros » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:00 pm

Pictures still a problem. They are .jpg maybe too big?

Today I took the seats & carpet out (didn't remove the side shelf carpet yet). There were 2 layers of 2 different cheap carpets installed. Weight was 21 lbs. Also, out came the 2 rear foam blocks. 8 lbs each.
JimAndros

Postby JimAndros » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:30 pm

I got all the floor removed & discovered 2" thick plywood stringers; Not the fiberglass stringer system I expected. Does anyone know when they switched from FG to wood? '65, '66 or '67. All I know is the original '64 adds state fiberglass stringers........ The wood appears to be solid, no rot, just wet. It will get to dry all winter. Motor mounts have round steel rods that I assume go all the way thru the stringer from inboard to outboard and are threaded like barrel nuts but some of the bolts broke off so I need to address that issue.

The floor was dry where I cut it about 4 inches aft of the fwd floor liner, so splicing it will be no problem.

I did my best to weigh what I removed. About 465lbs of wet foam and all the plywood floor was saturated from basically the front of the seats aft to the transom. I did weigh it but don't have the numbers in front of me as I type. I will weigh everything removed & added back in to figure out the approx. weight loss when thru.

I seem to be unable to post any pictures. I guess the forum is still corrupt?
JimAndros

Postby Hoggar » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:44 pm

Image Test!
Attachments
Zoomin-to Catalina.jpg
Zoomin-to Catalina.jpg (91.21 KiB) Viewed 3 times
Hoggar

Postby Hoggar » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:47 pm

Looks Like I got the Attachments working again! Sorry about the kerfuffle. I have still not found a way to get back all the old posts and images I have them all saved I just can't get them back into the forum and don't have the cash to hire a pro.
Hoggar

Postby JimAndros » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:24 pm

OK, here I go with pictures.
Attachments
thumbnail (3).jpeg
thumbnail (3).jpeg (23.57 KiB) Viewed 1 time
thumbnail (4).jpeg
thumbnail (4).jpeg (19.46 KiB) Viewed 1 time
thumbnail (2).jpeg
thumbnail (2).jpeg (23.37 KiB) Viewed 1 time
thumbnail (5).jpeg