67 Reveler-

Sportsman, SeaSport, Revelers , FrontRunners and Explorers - Sweet and Sport 16's - dock here

67 Reveler-

Postby evb11 » Sat May 29, 2010 11:08 pm

Hi to all- Such an awesome forum! hope it grows and grows!

Here's my 1967 ( unless im wrong- please correct me) Johnson Reveler- 155 HP Buick V6- Ive owned it for just a few months, but am super-duper in love with the entire package. This is my second OMC i/o ( the first was a '72 21ft Bell Boy ) I am confused on the model year, since my paperwork says its a 68- but the drive appears to be older ( doesn't match the short exhaust housing in the Evinrude parts diagrams)

This boat is CLEAN- The condition of the original Gel-coat is still nice and glossy, Most of the interior is still great, and ive started to update a bit here and there with new plush marine carpet in black, the entire outdrive is now gloss black ( photo below is old, just for reference of model year ) and the trailer has been sandblasted and sprayed gloss black with all new wiring- She makes my filthy range rover look pituful.

Looking into some different Prop size options and a hydrofoil as well- Any suggestions for this boat?
Also- Looking for a replacement steering wheel- Not sure how to shop for something like this- Mine is fine, but im 6'2" and even with the seat in the rearward position, its fairly awkward.

evb11

Re: 67 Reveler-

Postby JimAndros » Sun May 30, 2010 8:31 am

The drive looks original. There were high & low profile drives. That is a high profile. I think all OMC built boats were deep enough that they used the high profile drives.

Looks like you have prop shaft issues.
JimAndros

Welcome 67 Reveler!

Postby Peter_Crowl » Sun May 30, 2010 8:47 am

Yep - she's a beauty allright and you should be proud of her. That's the boat that Marty Loken had isn't it? He sent a photo set to me when I started looking for OMC's - it was behind a like colored Chevy Van - a truly retro pair! I was tempted as she's so clean but others came up more close by. Good for you to have taken her in!

I've seen your inquiries all over the net - that's smart as there are good sources everywhere. Please take the time to post your findings here, though, as this is one place where the results of a search can be shared by all. One of the reasons for the forum is that with other methods people get answers in direct email which preclude building a general knowledge base. BTW - glad you found your way here :~)

Ok - well -
You should be able to verify your year via the model number. The '66 Reveler V6 would be a 232803R while the '67 would be 232804E.
Know that boats were often registered as the year they were sold as opposed to the year they were made. It was a state by state thing. It makes sense in a way as boats don't change that much year to year and they also don't sell that fast. Models carry over and it would benefit the dealers if sold date took precedence over MFG date. Dealers have a lobbyist - we don't.

Your prop question is one we face on any boat we run. Lee Shuster has a good prop tech page on his site - you can find that here - http://www.hhscott.com/evinrude/props.htm
His reserarch has a focus on the V6 Sportsman setup which is the same as your Reveler. Unfortunately, it seems that props are hard to come by for the Stringer and thus you may end up running what you can find. Of course you could have a prop re-pitched by a shop but that gets pretty spendy...at least around here :~)

The steering wheel question - I dunno - I'm the same size you are and have experienced what you describe in all manner of boats. Resetting the seat may be the only option. Seems the designers were all aiming at smaller people :roll:

WRT your top quest...It's hard to imagine that you'll find a useable used top out there. I have a '66 Sportsman that came with a good top - no rear or side panels though - and it required overstiching as the thread has deteriorated to failure. None of the other boats I have came with one except for a '65 Deluxe that had what might pass for a pattern. I'd like to set up a pattern database of all the tops for our use in recreating them...perhaps with an eye to getting a shop to offer a group price upon order of a top for which we've provided a pattern. That's for the future though.
I might have a top frame if the '66-'67 Sportsman frame is the same. I'm going through my stuff as I make one good '66 out of two boats and a third parts boat.

Please don't be a stranger - this site is in its infancy and needs all the activity and support it can get :~)

Peter
in Denver
Peter_Crowl

Postby evb11 » Sun May 30, 2010 9:34 am

Sure is the same boat! He traded me for the Bell Boy I mentioned... Im glad that boat went to a good home, it was just too big for me. I think he was going to put a V8 in it-

Thanks for all the info! Yeah, i haven't had much luck with specifics to this boat, but not bad luck in general engine stuff. Ill look into the resources you put forth and definitely not be a stranger... Im already dropping the link into threads on other forums- The best thing ever is a great pool of knowledgeable folks, into the same obscure stuff that you are! Ill keep posted with pics of my upgrades in the next few days-
evb11

Postby Peter_Crowl » Sun May 30, 2010 10:21 am

Ah - and that's the one Marty just posted at the PNW site. Beautiful! But if it was too large then this seems like a good trade for you both.

Indeed - fun to explore and learn - and to share :~)
Thanks for promoting the forum - new front end site pages are in development - I have 4 pages ready to go up - hopefully by tomorrow night.

Peter
Peter_Crowl

Postby scottveazie » Sun May 30, 2010 10:04 pm

Nice to see another owner in the PNW. Where in Washington are you located? I'm down in Vancouver. Someday I'll post pictures of my '68 Sportsman. As far as props and fins go, you can get originals re-pitched and reworked for about $75 in Portland, I've got three more to get done of my own. I'd use a 14x18" prop, good all-round performance. I'd also recommend the SE300 hydrofoil, a place like West Marines carries it for about $50. The install is a little tricky but not too bad, massively improves performance (planing, steering).

I'm considering going black with my outdrive, since I'm tired of the black exhaust stains on my new white paint all the time.

Scott
scottveazie

Postby evb11 » Sun May 30, 2010 11:18 pm

Peter_Crowl wrote:Ah - and that's the one Marty just posted at the PNW site. Beautiful! But if it was too large then this seems like a good trade for you both.

Indeed - fun to explore and learn - and to share :~)
Thanks for promoting the forum - new front end site pages are in development - I have 4 pages ready to go up - hopefully by tomorrow night.

Peter

Oh yeah, that Bell Boy was wayyy to large for me. It was given to me by a friend whos father was dying of cancer, so i had it for a few years. When he finally passed on, and it was acting up engine-wise i decided it was time to go. My range rover hated to pull it anyway- I hope he has better luck with it that i did! His shop does some pretty amazing work too- im sure it went to a good home.

Scott- Im near Seattle- Peirce county area. Ill check out that hydrofoil- thanks!

Also- Yeah, the prop- met a log. But i sourced a new shaft here in the area and swapped her out a while back- But that caused me to loose that prop- So i threw on a spare which seems to get up and go a bit faster, with a higher top speed of 40mph
evb11

Postby evb11 » Mon May 31, 2010 10:49 pm

After prep and paint

Interesting that the model number i have on the boat designates a smaller engine than i have:

evb11

Postby evb11 » Mon May 31, 2010 10:51 pm

Anyone explain the mechanics behind properly adjusting the exhaust outlet?

evb11

Postby Peter_Crowl » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:10 am

Indeed - your number is for a 120 4 cylinder motor. Perhaps the boat was repowered at some point. If so you might want to figure out a way to check the gear ratios to see if they changed either gears or the entire outdrive as well. Incorrect gear ratios will affect performance.

WRT your rudder question - there's a service bulletin in the literature section. It's a PDF you can download and either save or open -
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=76

It's a simple adjustment based on handling issues.

If you don't have a manual you can download the SELOC manual. iBoats has some good Stickys in the Sterndrive forum as well as a link to a downloadable version of the manual -
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=8

Where did the weekend go?

Peter
Peter_Crowl

Next

Return to Gull Wing 16's