An Accidental Dolphin

Rogue - Sport Fisherman - TideRider - Dolphin - Surfer

An Accidental Dolphin

Postby Peter_Crowl » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:02 pm

Sometimes dithering is a good plan - or - I did not set out to buy a Dolphin today.

So I got home with the '65 Deluxe on Friday night. Saturday morning I'm catching up on my email. Of course I had to check in at Craigslist just to see what's up. Well what was up - aside from what appears to be a sweet '69 Seasport - was a '69 Dolphin. I knew this Dolphin. It had been on CL in early March. Guy wanted $1,000 for it. Didn't have the original seats - said it wasn't shifting into reverse. Well I hadn't delved into the OMC boat world that far at the time so I dithered - next day it was sold - and that was ok.

But here it was again. This time listed with sideways photos - I love that - at $700. Hmmm... So I called. Turns out the seller was last month's buyer - and this was his first boat. The guy threw in a Lowrance Depth Finder so he bought it for full price . He then took it to a local shop who told him it was basically pretty good - but needed ball gears - and quoted $800 for the job. Well he wasn't interested in going down that road - so he listed it for $700...and I bought it for $500 with the Lowrance Depth Finder.

What's that they say about the two happiest days in a boat owners life? This guy went through that - and probably the seven stages of grief- al in about a month. Is that a speed record?

Now I have to learn how to do a ball gear job. The plan is to do that - tidy it up - and find a new home for it - hopefully at a profit.

Ya know - if it had original seats......nah.....well....
Attachments
100_0831.JPG
100_0832.JPG
100_0837.JPG
Peter_Crowl

Re: An Accidental Dolphin

Postby JimAndros » Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:13 am

You have the fever.

Looks like you can't keep a fleet in that driveway. Do you have another spot?
JimAndros

Postby Peter_Crowl » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:06 am

I have two storage slots that'll hold 4 boats.
Peter_Crowl

Postby JimAndros » Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:20 pm

Those will be too small soon.
JimAndros

Postby Peter_Crowl » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:22 pm

JimAndros wrote:Those will be too small soon.

I know, these aren't like little Fin Boats :~)
Peter_Crowl

Postby JimAndros » Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:23 pm

Is there enought height to be able to put the drives down completely while on the trailer? That will save a few feet behind each boat. I can on all 3 of my OMC powered boats. My MerCruiser boats, only about 3/4 of the way down. Also, it's a lot easier to drain & fill the gearcase with extra ground clearance.

Do either of the boats have the flush fitting on the trunion? I have only one, & I stumbled across it by accident. It is installed on the Explorer. They have been NLA for probably 15 years. You can't use flush muffs, but Tempo made a deal that used a spring to wrap around the cavitation plate to attach to the water pick up. Those too have been NLA for years. I also have one of those.

The later stringers with mechanical shift used a slightly different trunion & so a different part number flush fitting that was available more recently. You could just use flush muffs on them anyways.

Jim
JimAndros

Return to 19's