What Am I missing here?

Ready to Strangle Your Stringer? Get help here!
Everything you need to know to maintain and repair the Big White Thing.

What Am I missing here?

Postby Ironbeard » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:30 pm

My boat is a 1970 Evinrude 155 Sportsman. Bought it a two years back and have been slowly working on it. Just got done rebuilding the carb....what a mess. Lots of water damage. Purged the fuel lines and cleaned out the fuel tank but can't figure out where the water came from. HOWEVER...take a look at pictures below. They are of some sort of fuel tank vent just under the bow rub rail, but something's been broken off or removed. A cover of some sort but what? I've looked and looked and can't find an image of what was supposed to be there.

Any ideas? Clues? Guesses? It's the only place I can figure out where the water came from. Why a fuel tank vent would be placed in the bow I have no clue? Don't know if this was original or something a previous owner did. Looks original.

You can see there are four small broken rivets like they were holding a "badge" of some sort....maybe?
Last edited by Ironbeard on Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ironbeard

Re: What Am I missing here?

Postby JimAndros » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:02 am

1st, you photo bucket pictures won't open on my computer & I won't download any updates, so you should re-post them so they are available to view.

2nd, water will always go to the bottom so after maybe 1/2 gallon or less you will be stranded. Remember, the fuel is picked up near the bottom of tank, maybe 1/4 inch off.

Where did the water come from? Did it splash in the vent? How much water are we talking about? Less than a 1/2 gallon that caused runability issues & eventually stalled out? Maybe

Lots more? Then it didn't come in the vent unless you were towed back in rough water after it died out. Unlikely.

Most likely it is years of condensation aggravated by the use of ethanol fuel.

Regarding the tank vent, I don't have a 1970 parts book, but the earlier ones used a plastic vent fitting just be below the rub rail on the right (starboard) side. It should be like a clam shell with the opening facing aft so splashing water is deflected away. If your vent is missing the clam shell, then replace it. Vents are typically somewhat generic and should be available at any boat dealer but OMC had a habit of using some proprietary designs. I believe that they used one with a larger mounting hole diameter but still a 5/8 hose barb. I replaced mine with OEM. Some parts are still available thru Evinrude dealers via a special order from Seaway (will show as "vintage" when the dealer does an availability search on the BRP BossWeb parts site). Dealer orders part on BossWeb just like usual but it will drop ship to them from Seaway. Expect about 1 week lead time.
JimAndros

Re: What Am I missing here?

Postby Ironbeard » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:11 am

Sorry for the image problem. Apparently Photobucket has changed their format and now want $399 / year to share photos.....oh well. Not to mention constant advertising popups so bad you can't get a damn thing done. DAMN!!

(Anyone know of a free picture hosting website.....like photobucket used to be?)

So here's what I've got. There's a screened fuel tank vent at the upper center of the bow just under the bow rub rail. There is a round metal screen about one inch in diameter on a round "plastic?" mount that is approximately 2 1/2 inches in diameter. It appears that there was some sort of covering bracket/shield that was anchored in the four corners with very small rivets which have been sheered off. The fuel vent house does have an upturned "U" bend in it before going down to the fuel tank. However it just seems incredibly stupid to put a fuel tank vent in that particular unprotected area of the boat.

Also the last time I topped off the fuel tank....of course excess fuel spilled out that tank vent which was majorly uncool. Not sure how to fix that issue. I need air to move back and forth but not fuel or water. Suggestions? Tricks? More-Better-Ideas?
Ironbeard

Return to OMC Stern Drive Forum