Please take a moment to announce your arrival - tell us a little about yourself - if we had Swag Bags we'd give you one, but we don't so we'll just say Hello!!

Postby Youllsee » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:26 am

Hello to everyone,
My name is Terry in Ann Arbor MI. I recently fell in love with a new project boat, a "66" Playmate. Is there anyone out there that would give me some help / advice or pictures?
Two subjects are at the top of my list right now.
Folding top:
I don't have one and would like to find a bare frame or get pictures and dimensions to fabricate a replacement.
Are they common between models?

The air vent extrusion below the windshield:
I don't have one.
Does anyone have one for sale?
Were they optional?
Could someone provide close-up picture of the end view and function of this piece so I can fabricate one.

Thank you
Youllsee

Re: New member

Postby peedee » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:15 am

Welcome to the forum - more like a ghost town these days! I have two 1969 boats with tops but none available to sell. I bet they are similar. They are made of aluminum tubing curved to form with vinyl top overlay. The tops are simple and very nice - like an automotive convertible top. Somewhat low. I have seen bimini top conversions to these boats and that might be your best bet. Check ebay for OMC dealers and you might get lucky there. I will have to look them up and get back to you if interested. I have one of the tops out for repair and could take pictures also if interested. This forum used to be pretty active. Not sure what is going on with it. Again, welcome to the forum. Tom K.
peedee

Postby JimAndros » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:21 am

Forums are dying on most websites. Maybe facebook, maybe they have just run their course, I don't know.
Also with this year's poor weather until just recently, I don't see much boat traffic.
JimAndros

Postby Youllsee » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:04 pm

Thank you pedee. I wouldn't be interested in just a bimini top. The Evinrude top is what makes these boats look so cool. I work in the auto development/ concept car business so I could duplicate the top if necessary but would like to take the easy rout on the folding frame. I expected to recreate the sewn top with a similar modern material that is less prone to shrinkage and distortion and have the graphics duplicated as well.
I appreciate you response and might contact you if necessary for pictures of the top frame details.
Terry
Youllsee

Return to Front Desk - Please Check In!