Wanted - Blue cleats for Explorer

For now let's see if doing all parts ads in one spot works out!

Wanted - Blue cleats for Explorer

Postby JimAndros » Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:04 pm

I am looking for 4 cleats for my 70 Explorer. The original cleats were blue & it seems to me they were all color matched to the boat. I would take black if they existed also.

Jim
JimAndros

Re: Wanted - Blue cleats for Explorer

Postby bldfw » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:02 am

I've got those same blue ones (faded) but one broke under the stress of being tied up to another boat and a couple of others show age cracks. As much as I would like to keep it original, given anything OEM or the like is likely going to be too brittle, I've decided to replace them with chrome cleats. I'm favoring the type that can lock down below the surface when not in use.

If you find a source, I'd like to check them out if I haven't already replaced mine by then.
-Bill
Dallas, TX
1970 Evinrude Explorer - 155 Buick V6 - OMC Sterndrive
http://www.photobucket.com/evinrude_explorer
bldfw

Re: Wanted - Blue cleats for Explorer

Postby JimAndros » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:02 pm

There is some type of metal core to these cleats. I also thought newer would be better just because. Well, that is OK and I don't care if the boat is OEM perfect. Now the BUT, the mounting holes don't line up. I can't remember exactly, but about 1/2 inch different than all new cleats available. So now we need to drill a new hole or elongate the 2 holes we already have.

That would be OK too if the cleat base covers most of the hole, it can be installed with sealant. Try to match the non skid and you are dealing with another issue. I already have a number of holes from type of accessory & have filled then but they need another coat of gelcoat.

Jim
JimAndros

Return to Parts - For Sale and Wanted