3 Questions

Nail down your V6 issues here!

Re: 3 Questions

Postby bchowk » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:08 pm

RE: your hammer coupling...

Do you hear the motor spinning when you try and raise the drive or is it a click (solenoid) then nothing? Seems like if it were the coupling you'd hear stuff rattling around in there.

Good luck!
bchowk

Re: 3 Questions

Postby Doug Julien » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:06 pm

Before you mess with removing the tilt motor, eliminate all the easier fixes. A couple weeks ago the tilt would not work, up or down, on the '69 Sportsman...so I took off the retrofitted retainer bracket, the brass plug, and turned out the shaft with the worm gear, which removed all load from the motor. The tilt motor then turned one way, which happened to be down, but not the other way, which was up. This told me that the motor was probably fine, and that the problem was likely the up solenoid. Had a solenoid I removed from a parts boat I stripped in Indiana - definitely not identical but since the outdrives to be tilted were identical, I figured it was worth a try...figured out which was the up solenoid by loosening wires, installed the replacement and the motor now spun in both directions! Put the tilt mechanism back together and put it in the water for the season! 43 mph with a 19 pitch SS prop!

My brother and I decided that our knowledge of technology peaked in 1969 - we can't fix anything built after that date but do a good job with our Sportsmans!

-Doug Julien
Doug Julien

Return to V-6