4 barrel

Nail down your V6 issues here!

4 barrel

Postby Peter_Crowl » Wed May 19, 2010 1:09 pm

I've not seen a 4 barrel setup on a Buick V6 - were they made?
Peter_Crowl

Re: 4 barrel

Postby bchowk » Wed May 19, 2010 1:27 pm

I have a 4bbl holley on my sportsman.....this was not a stock set up and as far as I know niether OMC, JEEP or buick ever did it out of the factory. However I think there are a few of us out there that are running 4bbl with an aftermarket offenhauser intake on a V6....

I got the idea from Lee's web site, although after talking to him, I understand that he had a hard time with his (pre V8 swap) because of the altitude (I think).... I LOVE IT for mine down here at sea level, love how easy it is to tune, really woke up the performance on my sportsman, cold start-up is better with the electric choke, looks cool, sounds cool.....I'm happy!!! :D
bchowk

Postby Peter_Crowl » Wed May 19, 2010 4:20 pm

Hmmm - and I'm at altitude as well - running rich is a problem for us - perhaps the deuce is best :~)?
Peter_Crowl

Postby bchowk » Thu May 20, 2010 2:02 pm

You might want to chat with Lee.....and get the specifics straight from him....He told me once that the quadrajet is a better carb for altitute than the holley I chose, and I have found Lee is usually right.

I think the big trap that people fall into is more CFM=better...but is not so.....I ran across this calculator, this is off an aviation site so I recon they may have a thing or two to say about volumetric efficiency (VE) at altitude

http://www.csgnetwork.com/cfmcalc.html

doing the math at an "average" VE of 83% our little odd fire v6's can really only use about 243 CFM of air and that volumetric efficiency only gets worse as you get up in altitude, but I gather you can do things to improve that, like gasket matching the exhaust manifolds and heads, porting and polishing heads and intake manifolds, etc. etc.

even down here at sea level since I have vacuum secondaries I run on the primaries most of the time and when I throw the throttle down only open the secondaries as far as the vacuum allows....In a world where time, money and common sense are not a consideration, wouldn't it be cool to take a page from the WWII p-38 and supercharge...bring your own atmoshere with you THEN put on the 4bbl and see how your performance wakes up :D
bchowk

Return to V-6