Changing the LU oil

Nail down your V6 issues here!

Re: Changing the LU oil

Postby JimAndros » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:14 pm

1st, for clarification the intermediate housing is the unit bolted to the rear of the engine & protrudes thru the transom seal. The upper gearcase is just that, the upper 1/2 of the outdrive & the lower gearcase is the lower 1/2.

The lower is drained & filled thru fill & drain screws located on the left (port) side of the gearcase. Remove both, let the oil drain & refill thru the lower plug until it flows out the top screw. Should take nearly 1 quart. Replace the screws with new gaskets OMC# 311598.

The upper is drained & filled thru fill & drain screws on the right hand side. Put the outdrive in a left hand turn & you will have better access. Again, replace the gaskets. Same part #. You may have a dip stick on the top of your upper housing cap. Truthfully, you are better off filling the oil until it comes out the top screw on the side of the housing.

The early intermediate housings like yours don't use oil, they use grease. Look above the ball gear & you will see a grease fitting and an inch away you will see a screw placed in a similar fashion. Remove the screw & pump grease into the fitting until it comes out the screw hole. Reinstall the screw & you are done.

Jim
JimAndros

Postby JimAndros » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:07 am

You will see the grease fitting & screw with the drive down. Look down onto the ball gear top area.

I can't remember the capacity of the upper, but it holds a pretty good quantity also. You will fill until it flows out the top screw. If I remember correctly, later drives don't have the top screw, only the drain & a dip stick.

The 4 bolt units were built at the factory with matched parts. There was no shimming the units during assembly or repair. Later 5 bolt units were shimmed during factory assembly and future repairs. I don't know if one was any "better" than the other as far as strength is concerned. It would stand to reason that 5 bolt drives should be easier to service and find replacement parts for. I thought the shimmed 5 bolt drives came out in '67 or '68, but I am not sure.
JimAndros

Postby JimAndros » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:12 pm

I believe the units can be interchanged however I have never tried to do it.

The garden hose fitting is indeed a flushing adapter. They have not been made in over 20 years, consider yourself lucky to have it. You will need to remove the cap & screw a double female connector onto the boat end then attach the garden hose. If you don't have that double female adapter, they can be had at the local hardware store for about $5. When you apply water pressure, water will flow both up into the motor & down into the lower unit & cool the impeller.
JimAndros

Postby JimAndros » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:11 pm

If the bolt holes line up, use it.
JimAndros

Return to V-6