Electrical Issues

Home for the venerable Chevy I-4 engine

Electrical Issues

Postby thatlarryguy » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:54 am

I have a 66 Sportsman 120 that I am trying to get back in to the water after setting up for about five years. The last time I took it out, it lost spark and it has sat in the barn since. I bought a Pertronix ignition and coil for it and installed them this past weekend. The battery was toast, but it had enough juice to kick off the hour meter but not run either the tilt or the starter or the vent blower/pump for that matter. I put a new battery in it this morning but it does nothing when I turn the key. No hour meter, no idiot lights, ammeter doesn't move. All of the accessories that are hot all the time (lights/pump/blower/horn) will work but it acts like the switch has died. I have power to the batt post on the switch but when I turn the key, the voltage totally goes away. I have the service manual but there is no 'theory of operation' for the ignition switch. I don't know what is supposed to happen, but whatever it is, ain't.

How can I verify that the switch is the problem ? Where else should I be looking ?
thatlarryguy

Re: Electrical Issues

Postby bchowk » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:44 am

I always start with the really simple stuff, so forgive me if the following is too obvious but some times we get folks that are not particularly mechanical, or sometimes we all forget the simple things. I'm assuming you have checked:

the fuses (I'm not looking at a wiring diagram but recall there is an ignition fuse under the dash on my 155 and ther is one right off the starter but I think you'd get a solenoid click if that was bad)
done the jiggle test on all the wires and cleaned connections
checked to make sure no barn critters have had their way with the wiring.
It happens on mine sometimes. just making sure the connections on the battery are good and tight
clean up all of the grounds (corrosion has given me some wierd things in the past)

here is a link that specifically discusses how to test your switch
http://www.type2.com/bartnik/starter.htm

Again....not looking at a diagram and comparing to a 69 155 but seems like you should get an oil light when the switch is in the run position (before you start the engine). In my experience if that oil light isn't on , I'm looking at the ign fuse under the dash or double checking that my battery cables are tight.

Hope this helps...good luck and let us know how it goes
1969 Sportsman 155
bchowk

Postby tkrogen@hotmail.com » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:49 am

Good Morning, your key switch is acting normal, lack of voltage to the switch is the problem. you have a possible grd problem. You have a possible corrorded power feed. Take a jumper wire and run it between B+ on the battery to the B+ on the switch and test. Let me know....
tkrogen@hotmail.com

Postby bchowk » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:03 pm

It has happened to me in the past.....you have made sure that you are in neutral, right? I swear somebody was messing with me
1969 Sportsman 155
bchowk

Postby thatlarryguy » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:59 pm

Wow, thanks for all the quick responses. I do have a habit of overlooking the simple things sometimes so don't worry about offending me :D

Normally, the oil light comes on and the hour meter starts ticking when the key is turned on. Neither of which are happening now. I know the battery connections are good, but I haven't gone any further than that. I have voltage to the dash since all the non-switched accessories are working. It is in neutral. I think that just locks out the starter, not everything though.

Thanks for the link on the switch, I will check it out this evening as well as start testing the fuses and connections. It is way too hot out to do anything until at least 7PM around here these days.
thatlarryguy

Postby thatlarryguy » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:27 pm

Success. I pulled the ignition fuse, it was OK but when I put it back in, it must have improved the connection enough that things started working again. Hopefully, I can get my water trough setup tomorrow and see if it cranks.
thatlarryguy

Postby bchowk » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:52 am

EXCELLENT!! :D One of my favorite things; doing, seeing, hearing or helping the resurrection of some classic, unusual thing, like your sportsman. OH the sound, smell and felling of success when an old engine coming back to life!! Then the joy (and sorrow) of putting it back to use...Good Luck!

Keep us posted, eh? and we love pics too....

Cheers,
B.C.
1969 Sportsman 155
bchowk

Postby Hoggar » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:39 am

Thanks for catching this guys. I completely missed this post, not that I would have had answers
for the issue. I'm not really much of a motor guy.

But I will add this... Larry If you boat has been sitting for five years you should really check
and replace your impeller.!
Hõggar.
The Old Glass Boats
My Current Project.
1967 Johnson Surfer.
There Is a very fine line between
"Hobby" and "Mental Illness".
Hoggar

Return to Inline 4